/ Matthew Pitt / 07 March 2012 / Leave a Comment
Graduation time in the land of Pud
So far I have played 11 of the events, both GSOP and mini-GSOP, and have cashed for around $800 but the experience I have gained just from being in these games is easily worth quadruple that
Poker players are well aware that in order to be successful at this crazy game they need to make sure they are making decision that, in the long term, will yield profits. Constantly making +EV players help them to forget about the short term variance and eventually win money. That's the plan anyway.
The same runs true for "real life" too but so many get blinded by the short-term profits rather than looking at the broader picture and seeing if something has more value as a long term project. One such situation came up just a week or so ago when I was asked by Betfair if I wanted to play in all the Grand Series of Poker (GSOP) and mini-GSOP (barring the $5,000 Grand Final) in exchange for writing a report on each of the events. I saw this as a fantastic opportunity to play a whole host of tournaments I wouldn't usually have the chance of playing and I snapped their hand off.
Although the thought of winning $15,000-$60,000 obviously appealed to me it dawned on me that unless I actually cashed in some of the events I wouldn't actually be getting paid as such for writing what will end up being around 30,000 words not to mention the time it takes play the tournaments every night and the fact writing these articles takes up time I could use for other projects. I could have quite easily have asked for actual physical cash and locked up a nice short-term profit but I placed a higher long-term value on the education I could pick up from being in $54-$200 buy-in tournaments.
So far I have played 11 of the events, both GSOP and mini-GSOP, and have cashed for around $800 but the experience I have gained just from being in these games is easily worth quadruple that, possibly even more. I've been able to watch and play alongside winning regulars, seen how they bet and I'm soaking it all up like a sponge. Yes I am still missing far too many value-bet spots to be profitable in these games on a permanent basis and I am missing a lot of re-shoves too. And yes I have probably been completely owned on several occasions but with each tournament I feel I am growing into a much better poker player and my poker graduation seems like it is just around the corner.
I'm delighted with some of my results, more so when I consider that if I had just a couple of hands hold up at crucial times I would have gone event deeper in some of the higher buy-in events. Highlights so far for me include finishing 370/2,419 in my first $200 tournament, coming 50/600 in a $108 rebuy (I didn't rebuy or add-on) for my largest score of $521, finishing 86/364 in a $200 buy-in Pot Limit Omaha event, though I have been pleased with how I played in 95% of the games.
Not only have I been learning so much about the game and myself to some degree but playing in these games has given me a new lease of poker life, determination and love for the game. I want to be playing on $50 buy-in games on a regular basis, I want to be playing in the $200,000 Champion Chip on Betfair Poker every week and for the first time in months, possibly in the last two years, I actually feel like I not only could but I will be doing this before the year is out. You mark my words!
In other news, away from the virtual felt, I have been completely dry for 22 days which is probably the longest period of time without alcohol since I was 17 years old. It has been an absolute walk in the park and I cannot see myself drinking ever again, it is really strange. If you had said to me one month ago that I was going to be a non-drinker than I would have laughed so hard lager would have come out of my nose but sat here now typing this I can hand on heart say that I think that will be the case. I won't be pushing the message alcohol is evil down your throats but I would recommend anyone who drinks to read Allen Carr's How To Control Your Drinking even if you have no intention of giving up booze. It's only £3.70 or so on the Kindle so get it bought!
I have also decided to start reading the Discworld series by Sir Terry Pratchett, right from the very beginning. I have just downloaded The Colour of Magic onto my trusty kindle and I will not stop reading them until I have completed all 39 books, finishing with Snuff, probably in around 15 year's time!
I guess that's it for now. Keep an eye out on the Betfair Blog for the GSOP and mini-GSOP exploits of Team Betfair players and those of yours truly and I'll try my best to win one! Until next time, aim for the long term and good luck at the tables.
The Grand Series of Poker (GSOP) switched back to four holecards for Event #7 though this time it was a pure Pot Limit Omaha Hi freezeout, something that was right up my street if I am honest....
If you are in the camp that thinks Pot Limit Omaha is a game that is completely crazy with chips flying around like a swarm of angry bees who are trying to get their honey back then God only knows...
The fifth events of the Grand Series of Poker (GSOP) and mini-GSOP saw Omaha being played for the first time, but not just any old version of Omaha, Pot Limit Omha Hi/Low Split, possibly one of the craziest games you...
No comments:
Post a Comment